Worldbuilding is essential my bread and butter when it comes to writing.
It’s the bloody plot I hate to write.
And one of my favourite aspect of worldbuilding is creating completely new cultures. But a lot of writers’ struggle with worldbuilding as it can become very overwhelming. So, I’d like to share a method I like to use to start working on the society and cultures.
- Five things that can offend someone in this culture.
- Five ways to flirt with someone in this culture.
- Five things that are a sign of social power.
- Five things that are considered beautiful in this culture.
- Five things that are considered ugly and undesirable in this culture.
Of course, five separated points for each one is just a suggestion but it’s a helpful middle ground. It’s also helpful to remember that cultures are dictated by their surrounding (the weather, animals, ruling power, materials available, etc.).
(I didn’t create this method, but I do apologise because I don’t remember who I heard it from).